This course is available in Paper format and also online.
Encouraging children to lead a healthy life style is very important. By instilling the importance of being healthy from a young age, we can help to combat obesity and encourage children to take responsibility for their own healthy lifestyle. This course is designed to assist the student in understanding the importance of healthy lifestyles through the key components of Diet, Nutrition and Exercise.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
If you have questions about this course please get in touch by
Email: email@example.com, or
Phone: 01539 724622
Our office hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
Data Protection: All data supplied will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Regulations. Where an email address is supplied by the applicant we assume permission to use this address to communicate information relevant to the chosen programme of study.
Diet Nutrition & Exercise for Children Level 3
Course code: CLD11
Delivery method: Paper Based or Online
Course duration: 12 Months
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: ABC Certificate of Achievement
Awarding body: ABC
This distance learning Diet, Excercise & Nutrition for Children course is designed to equip you with the theoretical knowledge, information and resources needed to educate parents, and children up to 12 years old, how to lead healthier lifestyles.
The need to be fit and healthy is a growing concern. Children are increasingly becoming overweight due to poor diet and lack of exercise, with all of the associated risks to health and wellbeing.
The long term solution to this problem is education and permanent lifestyle changes.
This course will focus on nutrition and exercise for children. You will acquire a wealth of knowledge about the body and how it can be influenced by intelligent food choices and smart exercise. You will also learn how poor food choices can have a detrimental effect leading to health problems later in life.
Unit 1- Food, Nutrients & Health
- The 5 Main Food Groups
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Starchy Foods
- Meat, Fish, Eggs, Beans, Nuts and Seeds
- Milk and Dairy
- Foods containing Fat and Sugar
- Not Forgetting Water
- Excess and Inadequate Nutrient Intake of both Children and Adults
- Dietary Fat
- Monounsaturated Fats (MUFA)
- Polyunsaturated Fats (PUFA)
- Hydrogenated Oils
- Typical Breakdown of Fats
- Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids
- Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids
Unit 2 – Food Safety
- Good Hygiene Practices
- Cross Contamination
- Re-Using Bags
- Freezing and Defrosting
- Food Poisoning
- Treating Food Poisoning
- Shopping Safely – Understanding Food Standards Labelling
- Allergenic Ingredients
- Display Until / Sell By
- Best Before
- Food Assurance Schemes
- Assured Food Standards Red Tractor
- Fresh, Pure and Natural
- Gluten Free
- Health Claims
- Lite or Light
- No Added Sugar or Unsweetened
- Produce of?
- Reduced Lactose or Lactose Free
- Unit 3 – Healthy Eating for Children
- Babies and Infants
- Protein Content of Formula
- Bottle Feeding
- Long-Chain PUFAs
- Hydrolysed and Soya-Based Formula
- First Food Suggestions
- Foods to Avoid or Limit
- How Much Solid Food?
- Infant Nutrition
- Pre-School Nutrition
- Fatty Foods
- Sweet Sugary Foods
- Foods to Avoid
- 6 – 12 Years
- Further Considerations
- Sodium (Salt)
- Healthy Weight
- Teenage Nutrition
- Healthy Weight
- Calcium Cofactors
Unit 4 – Nutrition
- 8 Key Nutrients Vegetarians Need
- Non-Nutrient Foods
- The Real Benefits of Dietary Fibre
- Insoluble Fibre
- Soluble Fibre
- Sources of Different Kinds of Fibre
- Other Non-Nutrients
- Dietary Supplements
- Roles of Dietary Supplements
- Who Might Benefit?
Unit 5 – The Balance of Good Health
- The Balance of Good Health
- What is The Balance of Good Health?
- Who is The Balance of Good Health for?
- Healthy Eating Advice
- Food Groups
- Bread, Other Cereals and Potatoes
- Fruit and Vegetables
- Milk and Dairy
- Meat, Fish and Alternatives
- Foods containing Fat; Foods and Drinks containing Sugar
- How Much Food Do People Need?
Unit 6 – Planning a Healthy Diet
- Easy-to-Follow Instructions
- A Healthy, Balanced Diet with Sufficient Calories
- A Variety of Foods
- Readily-Available Foods
- Meal Plans and Recipes
- Managing Change
- Tips on Diet Planning
- Know What is in Each Food Group
- The Healthy Diet: Back to Basics
- How is a Diet Made Up?
- Diet Plans
- Introduce Healthy Sleep Habits
- Structure of the Digestive System
- The Alimentary Canal
- The Digestive System
Unit 7 – Food Labelling
- Food Labelling – The Traffic Light System
- What Do The Colours Mean?
- What are the Criteria for Traffic Light Labelling?
- Which Food Products Display Traffic Light Labelling?
- Why is Traffic Light Labelling Important?
- Are There Criticisms?
Unit 8 – Influences on Healthy Eating
- Availability, Income, Food Prices and Convenience
- Advertising and Media
- Societal and Traditional aspects
- Beliefs and Personal Values
- Sensory Aspects – Hunger, Appetite, Palatability and Taste
- Education, Knowledge, Skills (e.g. Cooking Ability) and Time
- Mood, Stress and Guilt
- Other Factors That Affect Food Choice
- Changing Food Behaviour: Successful Interventions
Unit 9 – Diet & Illness
- Loss of Appetite after Illness
- Children at Risk of Poor Diet
- Additional Dietary Considerations for Some Children
- Vegan and Vegetarian Diets
- “Fussy” Eaters
- Food Allergies
- Coeliac Disease
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Unit 10 – Physical Activity
- Physical Exercise for Adolescents
- Pre-School Exercise
- Exercise for Children
- Are Children Active Enough?
- Activity Logs
- Government Policy
- Method and Application
- Specific Sports Training
- Varied Activities
- Further Considerations
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards and Certa Awards Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing Ltd has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet defined quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to a regulated qualification* but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills gained. The Learner Unit Summary may be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this subject. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing Ltd to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards/Certa endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards and Certa Awards have long-established reputations for providing high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. ABC Awards and Certa Awards combine over 180 years of expertise combined with a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards and Certa Awards also offer regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
*Regulated qualification refers to those qualifications that are regulated by Ofqual / CCEA / Qualification Wales
Paper Based Version
The course comes to you as a paper-based pack delivered by courier.
You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments.
Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor.
Our online courses are fully digitised versions of the paper-courses, so you can study on any PC or smart device when connected to the internet.
As with the paper course, your online learning programme is completely flexible, so you can study at a pace that suits you.
All of our online course content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective.
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course and will assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.