This course is available in Online or Paper format.
This Introduction to Mental Health Care course is designed for people who wish to gain an understanding of the principles and practice of Mental Health Care.
|Online Or Paper|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
If you have questions about this course please get in touch by
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Phone: 01539 724622
Our office hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
Data Protection: All data supplied will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Regulations. Where an email address is supplied by the applicant we assume permission to use this address to communicate information relevant to the chosen programme of study.
Introduction to Mental Health Care at QLS Level 2
Course code: SH230
Delivery method: Paper Based or Online
Course duration: 12 Months (Approx. 90 hours study time)
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: ABC Awards and Certa Award Certificate of achievement at QLS Level 2
The objectives of the course are to:
- Develop an awareness of behaviour patterns associated with mental health illnesses
- Identify the symptoms and behaviours associated with a range of mental health problems
- Create an awareness of methods of managing mental health symptoms
- Develop a range of skills with which to care for mental health sufferers
This course consists of six units of study:
Unit 1: Normal/Abnormal Behaviour
- Define normal behaviour
- Identify the characteristics of normal behaviour
- Identify normal defense mechanisms
- Define abnormal behaviour
- Identify the characteristics of normal behaviour
- Identify therapeutic interventions to treat abnormal behaviour
Unit 2: Burnout, Depression and Suicide
- Define and identify the causes of burnout
- Identify the symptoms, and preventive techniques for burnout
- Identify two major types of depression
- Identify the signs/symptoms of severe depression
- Identify the techniques and drugs used for the management of depression
- Identify circumstances which aid in the identification of potential suicide victims
- Identify the factors which differentiate a suicide gesture from a suicide attempt
- Identify the methods of managing a potential suicide victim.
Unit 3: Hostility and Violent Behaviour
- Identify the most common precipitating factors in violent behaviour
- Identify the methods used to manage the violent patient who is unarmed
- Identify the methods used to manage the violent patient who is armed.
- Identify the uses of restraints for violent patients.
Unit 4: Substance Abuse
- Identify the signs/symptoms and treatment for overdose and withdrawal of opiates
- Give examples, identify signs/symptoms and treatment for overdose and withdrawal of central nervous system depressants
- Identify examples, signs/symptoms and treatment for overdose and withdrawal of central nervous system stimulants
- Identify signs/symptoms and treatment of cannabinoids
- Identify examples, signs/symptoms, and treatment for overdose and withdrawal of psychedelics
- Identify signs/symptoms and treatment for overdose of phencyclidine
Unit 5: Death and Dying
- Identify the typical reactions of health care personnel towards the terminally ill or injured patient.
- Identify the stages of adjustment experienced by the terminally ill or injured patient and his significant others.
- Identify the characteristics of each stage of adjustment experienced by the terminally ill patient and his significant others.
- Identify the management techniques used to help the terminally ill and their significant others cope with death and dying.
- Identify the methods used by the medical staff to help patients cope with death and dying.
Unit 6: Sexual Assault.
- Identify the responsibilities and actions necessary by carers when dealing with alleged sexual assault.
- Identify evidence control procedures.
- Identify recording principles
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
Paper Based Version
The course comes to you as a paper-based pack delivered by courier.
You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments.
Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor.
Our online courses are fully digitised versions of the paper-courses, so you can study on any PC or smart device when connected to the internet.
As with the paper course, your online learning programme is completely flexible, so you can study at a pace that suits you.
All of our online course content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective.
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course and will assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
- Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Level 2£495.00
- Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Level 2£320.00