This course is available in Paper format
The objectives of the course are to explain how an understanding of the following topics can contribute to healthy and environmentally friendly lifestyle choices:
- Nutrition and diet
- Food purchasing and preparation
- Exercise and health
- Lifestyle choices
- Healthy environments
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
If you have questions about this course please get in touch by
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Phone: 01539 724622
Our office hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
Data Protection: All data supplied will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Regulations. Where an email address is supplied by the applicant we assume permission to use this address to communicate information relevant to the chosen programme of study.
Diet & Nutrition Consultant at QLS Level 3
Course code: FHL10
Delivery method: Paper Based
Course duration: 12 Months
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: ABC Awards and Certa Award Certificate of achievement at QLS Level 3
This home study Nutrition Consultant course allows you to learn what constitutes a balanced diet according to established nutritional science, and equips you with the skills and knowledge to advise other people how to look after their health.
Module 1: Principles of a balanced diet
- Nutrition: what is it?
- Macronutrients: carbohydrates, proteins and fats
- Micronutrients: vitamins and minerals
- How much do we need of each nutrient?
- The concept of energy balance
- A ‘healthy’ diet and government guidelines
Module 2: Special dietary needs
- The Eatwell plate
- Babies and toddlers
- School children (ages 4-10)
- Adolescents (ages 11-18)
- Older adults
- The national diet and nutrition survey
Module 3: How certain diets can affect health
- Types of food intolerance
- Types of food allergy
- Low income and dietary adequacy
- Dietary differences in a multicultural society
- Deficiencies and dietary conditions
- Vegetarian and vegan diets
Module 4: Contemporary food issues and their impact on diet
- What is a food additive?
- UK regulation of additives and E-numbers
- Food colourings
- Flavour enhancers
- Emulsifiers and stabilisers
- Convenience and fast food
- The place of fast food in a balanced diet
Module 5: Food hygiene and safety
- Safe food storage
- Hygienic preparation
- Safe cooking methods
- General hygiene
- Food safety for vulnerable groups
- Protection against listeria, salmonella and toxoplasmosis
- Understanding and interpreting food labelling
Module 6: Supporting people to change their diet and food choices
- Influences on eating: social, economic and psychological
- Food habits, attitudes and behaviours
- Supporting specific dietary goals
- Improving the overall balance of a meal
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and Certa Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the components the learner has completed as part of the course).
This course has been endorsed by ABC Awards and Certa Awards for its high-quality. The Quality Licence Scheme, endorses high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme has been endorsed by the Quality Licence Scheme for its high-quality, non-regulated provision and training programmes. This course and/or training programme is not regulated by Ofqual and is not an accredited qualification. Your training provider will be able to advise you on any further recognition, for example progression routes into further and/or higher education. For further information please visit the Learner FAQs on the Quality Licence Scheme website.
Paper Based Version
The course comes to you as a paper-based pack delivered by courier.
You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments.
Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor.
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course and will assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
- Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Level 3£445.00