This course is available in Paper format and Online.
This Understanding Working in the Health Sector course is aimed at learners who are considering, or starting out in, a career in the health sector.
It equips learners with underpinning knowledge and understanding of the sector and roles within it.
This qualiﬁcation develops the knowledge and understanding needed to become an effective member of a health care team.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
If you have questions about this course please get in touch by
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Phone: 01539 724622
Our office hours are 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday
Data Protection: All data supplied will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Regulations. Where an email address is supplied by the applicant we assume permission to use this address to communicate information relevant to the chosen programme of study.
Understanding Working in the Health Sector Level 2
Course code: SH130
Delivery method: Paper Based or Online
Course duration: 12 Months (Approx. 120 hours study time)
Entry requirements: No prior qualification needed
Award achieved: Certificate of Achievement by ABC
Awarding body: ABC
The aims of this course are to allow students to develop a knowledge and understanding of the following aspects of working in health sector occupations:
- Role of the healthcare worker
- Communication skills
- Personal development in the health sector
- Health, safety and security in the health sector
- Understanding quality standards
Equality, diversity and inclusion Students may register at any time and have a full year to complete their studies.
Summary of Course Units
The list below indicates the course structure and six study units, showing the list of accredited qualification units, the number of credits provided by each completed unit, and the guided learning hours associated with each unit.
Unit 1 Understand the role of the healthcare worker
- This unit provides the knowledge required to understand the nature of working relationships, working in ways that are agreed with the employer and working in partnership with others.
Guided learning hours: 20
Unit 2 Communication skills for working in the health sector
- This unit covers the different forms of communication in the health sector. Learners will become aware of the different people they may need to communicate with and the importance of establishing the appropriate form of communication for individuals. They will also investigate the importance of completing accurate records and maintaining confidentiality.
Guided learning hours: 20
Unit 3 Personal development in the health sector
- In this unit learners will identify their own personal development needs and how feedback and reflection can support their personal development.
Guided learning hours: 10
Unit 4 Health, safety and security in the health sector
- This unit aims to give learners an understanding of how they can assist in maintaining health, safety and security in a healthcare environment. It covers aspects such as identifying risk; relevant legislation and workplace policies and procedures; how to respond to emergency situations; and how to report issues.
Guided learning hours: 25
Unit 5 Understand quality standards in the health sector
- This unit aims to give learners an understanding of how to deliver quality standards of service that address legislation, policies and procedures in the health sector. They will investigate how organisations monitor, evaluate and maintain these standards and which resources can support them.
Guided learning hours: 20
Unit 6 Equality and diversity in the health sector
- This unit develops learners’ understanding of the importance of equality and diversity in the health sector. Learners will understand that it’s everyone’s responsibility to act in ways that support equality and diversity and how to respond to behaviour that is discriminatory.
Guided learning hours: 25
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards’ Quality Licence Scheme. This means that Kendal Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 2 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by Kendal Publishing to meet specific learners’ and/or employers’ requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards’ endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK. Regulators for exams and assessments in England and Wales
Paper Based Version
The course comes to you as a paper-based pack delivered by courier.
You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments.
Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor.
Our online courses are fully digitised versions of the paper-courses, so you can study on any PC or smart device when connected to the internet.
As with the paper course, your online learning programme is completely flexible, so you can study at a pace that suits you.
All of our online course content is broken down into bite size chunks to make your learning more manageable and effective.
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work and guide you through the course and will assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Counselling & Psychology, Level 2£250.00–£275.00
Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Level 2£320.00
Childcare & Teaching Assistant, Level 2£495.00