Choose by course
- A Levels
- Animal Care
- Beauty & Nails
- Bookkeeping & Accounts
- BTEC Qualifications
- Bundles & Offers
- Business & Management
- Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW)
- Child Care & Teaching Assistant
- Counselling Courses
- Crime, Forensics & Law
- Design & AutoCAD
- Digital Photography
- Event Management & Catering
- Fitness, Health & Anatomy
- Health Care
- Information Technology
- Office & Travel
- Online A Levels
- Online Health & Social Care
- Online IGCSEs
- Project Management, Property & Travel
- QCF National Qualifications
- Short Courses
- Technical Studies
- Web Design
- Writing & Journalism
- Course Length - 12 Months
- Award Received - IQ Level 3 Organisation Award in Introduction to Childminding
- Course Code: CLD15
To purchase this course in a one off full payment it will cost you:
£375.00 - £275.00
To purchase this course in monthly instalments it will cost you:
Initial Deposit: £99.00
Followed by 4 monthly payments of £69.00
Total amount payable £375.00
About this course
This course has been developed to give those already working as a childminder or those contemplating a career as one to understand the key aspects and responsibilities of this demanding but rewarding role.
A childminder’s role is many and varied and can be described in a number of ways. Gone are the days when childminders were seen as uneducated, low paid babysitters who were paid to keep an eye on the children whilst their parents spent a few hours at work. Parents are no longer content to pay someone to look after their child simply because they appear motherly and seem to like playing with children. Parents now, quite rightly, express a wish to find a highly qualified, organised person who has the right skills to not only nurture their child but to educate and discipline them.
This course will give you the key information to enable you to put into practice your ambition to be a successful childminder as well as crucial information about Health and Safety and setting up your own childminding business.
UNIT ONE Introduction to childminding
- Describe the skills and qualities required to undertake employment as a childminder
- Identify your own existing skills and qualities
- Identify skills and abilities to be developed
UNIT TWO Understand the legal responsibilities of the childminder
- Define the legal responsibilities of the childminder
- Outline relevant legislation with regard to childminding
UNIT THREE Understand the relevant training available to childminders
- Discuss the importance of first aid qualifications for childminders
- Critically explore the available optional training available for childminders
UNIT FOUR Getting your business up and running
- Identify the service you wish to provide
- Analyse the childminding market in your area
- Critically examine the importance of portfolios and welcome packs
- Summarise the procedures for interviewing potential customers
- Identify procedures for settling children into the childminding setting
UNIT FIVE Safety within the home
- Identify the risks to children indoors
- Identify the risks to children outdoors
- Critically examine the importance of maintaining appropriate hygiene procedures for (a) personal (b) toys and equipment
UNIT SIX Negotiating a contract
- Summarise the importance of using contracts
- Describe retainers and deposits and explain when these should be charged
- Critically examine the procedures which should be followed in the event of a complaint being made against the childminder
UNIT SEVEN Writing and implementing policies
- Produce a policy to meet equal opportunities within the childminding setting
- Critically examine the importance of having a behaviour policy within the childminding setting
- Discuss the procedure for reporting a suspected case of child abuse
UNIT EIGHT Accounts and book keeping
- Summarise the legal obligations of a self-employed person
- Analyse the consequences of employing an assistant or working with another childminder
- Identify the financial help available to childminders
- Critically explore how to evaluate whether your business is making a profit or loss
At the end of this course successful learners will be awarded a certificate of achievement by IQ (Industry Qualifications)
Our course has been accredited by IQ, and the course measurable learning outcomes have been benchmarked at Level 3 on IQ's own Customised Qualification Framework (CQF) to allow you to consider the depth of study, difficulty, and level of achievement involved.
The course has been developed by UK Distance Learning & Publishing and has been accredited and quality assured by IQ. IQ gives formal recognition to an organisation's bespoke courses through their Customised Qualifications Framework.
Industry Qualifications is recognised as an Awarding Organisation by the qualification regulators ('regulators') for England, Wales and Northern Ireland for their qualifications on the national framework ie the Qualifications and Curriculum Framework (QCF).
- The course comes to you as a proper paper-based pack, not as an electronic password
- You will get full tutor support via email
- You will receive feedback on your assignments from our experienced tutors
- You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments
- Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor
- You must have access to email in order to contact your tutor
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work, guide you through the course and assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
This distance learning Early Years Level 3 course covers child development, relationships and environment, and offers useful hints on planning and resourcing together with ‘reflective practitioner’ exercises throughout the course which test the knowledge and understanding of the learner.
The culture of long hours and the fact that more and more women are returning to work after having children, have brought about something of a mini-revolution in childcare. In today’s busy world, the need for quality childcare has never been greater. Whether you wish to have a rewarding career in childcare or have ambitions to eventually run your own childcare business, this course would provide the first step on a highly worthwhile and fulfilling career.
This distance learning course will provide you with all the underpinning knowledge to make a decision as to whether a career as a child minder is the right one for you.
This distance learning Special Education Needs course will provide you with all the underpinning knowledge you need if you wish to work in a support role with children who have Special Educational Needs (SEN). This course is suitable for Teaching Assistants wishing to expand their knowledge.
This course has been developed for those already working in the Child Care sector and for those who hope to, perhaps as a Home Practitioner, where the responsibilities involve the close observation of children’s development. The course will provide the knowledge necessary to carry out these duties professionally and thoroughly.