Choose by course
- A Levels
- Animal Care
- Beauty & Nails
- Bookkeeping & Accounts
- Bundles & Offers
- Business & Management
- Child Care, Early Years & Teaching Assistant
- Construction & Surveying
- Counselling Courses
- Crime, Forensics & Law
- Design & AutoCAD
- Digital Photography
- Event Management & Wedding Planning
- Fitness, Health & Anatomy
- Gardening, Genealogy and Miscellaneous
- Health and Social Care
- Information Technology
- Logistics & Transport
- Project Management & Property Development
- Psychology & Sociology
- Supply Chain Management
- Web Design
- Writing & Journalism
Introduction to Childminding Level 3
Child Care, Early Years & Teaching Assistant - Level 3
- Course Length - 12 Months
- Award Received - Level 3 Certificate of Achievement by ABC
- Course Code: CLD14
This course in full will cost
Course Cost £345.00
From £ a month
This course in full will cost
Course Cost £345.00
From £ a month
About this course
This course has been developed to give those already working as a childminder or those contemplating a career as one to understand the key aspects and responsibilities of this demanding but rewarding role.
A childminders role is many and varied and can be described in a number of ways. Gone are the days when childminders were seen as uneducated, low paid babysitters who were paid to keep an eye on the children whilst their parents spent a few hours at work. Parents are no longer content to pay someone to look after their child simply because they appear motherly and seem to like playing with children. Parents now, quite rightly, express a wish to find a highly qualified, organised person who has the right skills to not only nurture their child but to educate and discipline them.
This course will give you the key information to enable you to put into practice your ambition to be a successful childminder as well as crucial information about Health and Safety and setting up your own childminding business.
UNIT ONE Introduction to childminding
- Describe the skills and qualities required to undertake employment as a childminder
- Identify your own existing skills and qualities
- Identify skills and abilities to be developed
UNIT TWO Understand the legal responsibilities of the childminder
- Define the legal responsibilities of the childminder
- Outline relevant legislation with regard to childminding
UNIT THREE Understand the relevant training available to childminders
- Discuss the importance of first aid qualifications for childminders
- Critically explore the available optional training available for childminders
UNIT FOUR Getting your business up and running
- Identify the service you wish to provide
- Analyse the childminding market in your area
- Critically examine the importance of portfolios and welcome packs
- Summarise the procedures for interviewing potential customers
- Identify procedures for settling children into the childminding setting
UNIT FIVE Safety within the home
- Identify the risks to children indoors
- Identify the risks to children outdoors
- Critically examine the importance of maintaining appropriate hygiene procedures for (a) personal (b) toys and equipment
UNIT SIX Negotiating a contract
- Summarise the importance of using contracts
- Describe retainers and deposits and explain when these should be charged
- Critically examine the procedures which should be followed in the event of a complaint being made against the childminder
UNIT SEVEN Writing and implementing policies
- Produce a policy to meet equal opportunities within the childminding setting
- Critically examine the importance of having a behaviour policy within the childminding setting
- Discuss the procedure for reporting a suspected case of child abuse
UNIT EIGHT Accounts and book keeping
- Summarise the legal obligations of a self-employed person
- Analyse the consequences of employing an assistant or working with another childminder
- Identify the financial help available to childminders
- Critically explore how to evaluate whether your business is making a profit or loss
At the end of this course successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from ABC Awards and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all the units the learner has completed as part of the course).
The course has been endorsed under the ABC Awards' Quality Licence Scheme. This means that UK Distance Learning & Publishing has undergone an external quality check to ensure that the organisation and the courses it offers, meet certain quality criteria. The completion of this course alone does not lead to an Ofqual regulated qualification but may be used as evidence of knowledge and skills towards regulated qualifications in the future. The unit summary can be used as evidence towards Recognition of Prior Learning if you wish to progress your studies in this sector. To this end the learning outcomes of the course have been benchmarked at Level 3 against level descriptors published by Ofqual, to indicate the depth of study and level of demand/complexity involved in successful completion by the learner.
The course itself has been designed by UK Distance Learning & Publishing to meet specific learners' and/or employers' requirements which cannot be satisfied through current regulated qualifications. ABC Awards' endorsement involves robust and rigorous quality audits by external auditors to ensure quality is continually met. A review of courses is carried out as part of the endorsement process.
ABC Awards is a leading national Awarding Organisation, regulated by Ofqual, and the Welsh Government. It has a long-established reputation for developing and awarding high quality vocational qualifications across a wide range of industries. As a registered charity, ABC Awards combines 180 years of expertise but also implements a responsive, flexible and innovative approach to the needs of our customers.
Renowned for excellent customer service, and quality standards, ABC Awards also offers Ofqual regulated qualifications for all ages and abilities post-14; all are developed with the support of relevant stakeholders to ensure that they meet the needs and standards of employers across the UK.
 Regulators for exams and assessments in England and Wales
- The course comes to you as a proper paper-based pack, not as an electronic password
- You will get full tutor support via email
- You will receive feedback on your assignments from our experienced tutors
- You will be given guidance through the Study Guide on the nuts and bolts of studying and submitting assignments
- Postal assignments cannot be accepted without prior permission from the tutor
- You must have access to email in order to contact your tutor
The course contains a number of assignments which your tutor will mark and give you valuable feedback on. We call these Tutor Marked Assignments (TMAs). You need only send the TMAs to your tutor for comment, not the self-assessment exercises which are also part of the course to help you gauge your progress.
This course can be taken over a 12 month period but you can complete it as fast or as slowly as you wish.
You will have access to a tutor via email who will mark your work, guide you through the course and assist you with any problems you may have. In addition you will be supplied with a comprehensive Study Guide which will help you through the study and assessment process.
This distance learning course in Nursery Management is a good option for anyone currently working in a nursery who is interested in learning more about management skills and practices, with a view to moving into such a role in the future. The course would also be helpful for someone already working in a management capacity as a piece of CPD training (Continuing Professional Development).
Interested in counselling children and adolescents? Currently working with children? Then this may be the course for you. It covers child counselling skills, child development, behavioural psychology, abuse, bullying, grief and bereavment.This distance learning course in Counselling Children and Adolescents can be taken at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home.
This course is designed for those who are thinking of working, or who are planning to work, in a range of childcare occupations. It will provide progression to the Early Learning and Childcare, Social Care and Learning Development and Support Services workforces. To work in a supervised capacity requires a Level 2 competence qualification for which this course is designed. This course is suitable for anyone working with children or who would like to start a career in childcare. However, please be aware that you will need to volunteer or already be working in a childcare setting for assessment purposes.
Childcare is a competitive industry, and employers increasingly look for job applicants holding nationally recognised qualifications. This CACHE course provides successful learners with a Level 3 qualification especially designed for those looking to work with children ages 0-5 in a professional childcare setting. The particular advantage of studying this CACHE Level 3 Award in Childcare and Education (VRQ) home study course is that it prepares students to progress to the CACHE Level 3 Certificate in Childcare and Education (VRQ), and then on to the CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator) (VRQ). The Diploma level course would enable learners to gain the knowledge and experience to allow them to work with children from birth to 5 years in non-supervised capacity. It should be stressed, however, that the Award itself is a valuable standalone qualification in its own right, and will be especially useful to those looking to boost their CV with a view to working with children in a supervised capacity. It would also be suitable for those already working in childcare as a piece of CPD (Continuing Professional Development).
This CACHE Level 1 Caring for Children distance learning course is a great introduction to a career in child care. Child care jobs are among the most challenging and most important in our society. This course offers a wide ranging introduction to some of the key concepts underpinning high quality childcare, including health and safety, and government legislation. On succesful completion of this course students will receive a full national (QCF) qualification. This may not automatically qualify you for any role working with children, and we always advise you do your research before applying, or contact us directly if you require guidance.